SOCIAL MEDIA FACTS
Some staggering social media facts pertaining to the social web.
- Facebook user average 130 friends.
- In excess of 25 billion bits of content is shared monthly.
- Over 300,000 users assisted with the translation of the website through the translations application.
- In excess of 150 million people engage with Facebook on external sites monthly.
- Two-thirds of the Fortune 500 websites have integrated with Facebook.
- There are over 100 million active users accessing Facebook through their smart phones.
- People that access Facebook via mobile are twice as active than non-mobile users.
- On average Facebook users are connected to 60 pages, groups and events.
- People spend over 500 billion minutes per month on Facebook.
- There are more than 1 million entrepreneurs and developers from 180 countries on Facebook.
Source: social media statistics - Facebook press office.
- The Twitter website only accounts for a quarter of its users ? 75% use third-party applications.
- Twitter receives over 300,000 new users daily.
- There are in excess of 110 million users on Twitter.
- Twitter gets 180 million unique visits each month.
- There are over 600 million searches on Twitter daily.
- Twitter started as a simple SMS text service.
- Over 60% of Twitter use is from outside the U.S.
- There are more than 50,000 third-party applications for Twitter.
- Twitter has donated access to all of its tweets to the Library of Congress for research and preservation.
- More than a third of users access Twitter via their smart phone.
Source: social media statistics - Twitter and the Chirp Conference.
- LinkedIn is the oldest of the four sites discussed in this post, having been created in 2003.
- There are more than 70 million LinkedIn users worldwide.
- LinkedIn members come from more than 200 countries.
- LinkedIn is available in six languages ? English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.
- Oracle?s Chief Financial Officer, Jeff Epstein, was headhunted for the position via his LinkedIn profile.
- 80% of companies use LinkedIn for recruitment.
- A new member joins LinkedIn every second.
- LinkedIn receives almost 12 million unique visitors daily.
- Executives from all Fortune 500 companies are on LinkedIn.
- Recruiters account for 1-in-20 LinkedIn profiles.
Source: socila media statistics - LinkedIn press centre and SysComm International.
- The first video uploaded on 23rd April 2005, was called ?Me at the Zoo?.
- More than 65,000 videos were being uploaded daily by mid 2006.
- YouTube gets more than 2 billion viewers per day.
- 24 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- The U.S. accounts for 70% of YouTube users.
- Over half of YouTube?s users are under 20 years old.
- You would need to live for around 1,000 years to watch all the videos currently on YouTube.
- YouTube is available in 19 countries and 12 languages.
- Music videos account for 20% of uploads.
- YouTube uses the same amount of bandwidth as the entire Internet used in 2000.
Source: social media statistics - YouTube press centre.
- Blogs are read by 77% of Internet users.
- Technorati, the leading blog directory, currently has 133 million blogs listed.
- 60% of bloggers are between the ages 18-44.
- 20% of bloggers update their blogs every day.
- Two out of three bloggers are male.
- Companies accounts for 14% of blogs.
- One in six bloggers spend 10 hours a week blogging.
- Over 50% of all bloggers are married and/or parents.
- More than 50% of bloggers have more than one blog.
- On average bloggers use five different social sites to drive traffic to their blog.
Source: social media statistics - Technorati?s State of the Blogosphere 2009.